OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums

OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/index.php)
-   Horse Race Betting Systems (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   1% of punters win (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=28745)

Tipsy 25th July 2014 09:16 PM

1% of punters win

Supposed to be fact

Pat123 25th July 2014 09:22 PM

Hence why I trade - every day, without fail, is a winner. For me it's the only way. For others who can handle losing, but still be ahead in the long run, good on them.

Chrome Prince 25th July 2014 10:06 PM

Hence why I find it hard to believe that 25% of Betfair's clients win.

Pat123 25th July 2014 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Prince
Hence why I find it hard to believe that 25% of Betfair's clients win.

Yeah that has got to be B S.

Shaun 25th July 2014 10:28 PM

Maybe not if you consider the 1% is mostly regarded as backers as has always been but with betfair layers and backers can be winning.

Pat123 25th July 2014 10:35 PM

Actually that's a good point. Still would seem high. And betfair are only one option people can bet with; those layers are only a portion of that still.

stugots 25th July 2014 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy
Supposed to be fact

doubt anyone can say with complete accuracy what the true number is, but if it is 1% thats still a hell of a lot better than investing in lotto/keno/pokies & certain football teams & cricket competitions;)

Shaun 26th July 2014 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat123
Actually that's a good point. Still would seem high. And betfair are only one option people can bet with; those layers are only a portion of that still.

I agree it is **** just a spin from them.

Chrome Prince 26th July 2014 01:09 AM

If 1% of backers win, and 1% of layers win, that means that 23% of arbers and traders who ONLY use the exchange, win and I think that's an enormously optimistic statistic. Arbers that use bookies and exchange would be losing on the exchange, therefore, it just doesn't add up.
I know that some backers, layers, and traders win very large sums of money, but certainly not 25% of them. A lot of traders do win, but then get done by a series of bad decisions and chasing, exchange crashes, late scratchings and internet or computer problems.
And let's not forget that most trading is done in play or in running and analysis of in play data just doesn't show that much of an edge unless you're very special at beating the consensus.
I really don't think 25% of people can beat the consensus, I would say that 80% of betfair profits come from 20% of not customers, but winning customers, which again defies their original statistic.

UselessBettor 26th July 2014 10:06 AM

Really who cares?

If its 1% then that's great
If its 99% then that's great.

I only care that I win or lose overall.