View Single Post
Old 5th January 2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barny
There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to a fortune:

Brutus speaks of a metaphorical "tide", in the lives of human beings: by taking advantage of the high tide, one may float out to sea and travel far. Brutus assumes that we can tell when the tide is high, but characters repeatedly fail to register fate's opportunities and warnings, neglecting to choose correctly .....
  • There is a Sweet Spot with a well constructed system.
  • Too often punters "bet" a system from low tide to high tide and back to low tide again.

Interesting concept Barny. There's a horse racing around or was last year or the year before called " Taken at the flood. " I thought it a strange name but did not know its origin.

Barny's quote got the better of me so I asked 'Google " he is my friend. I can now see the significance of the name and why a horse might finish up with a name like that.

I suppose it is also close to striking while the iron is hot or in Brutus's case while they still held some strength before the enemy increased theirs.

Floating on the high tide brings in the riches and scrambling at the low can be disastrous. So, how does this apply to gambling and the horses.

I know my wisdom comes in moments of inspiration, luck, being in the right place at the right time, etc and seems to run in patches. You get on a roll, not only in gambling but other things in your life then the tide starts to run out and you have to get off the ride as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, with the horses, the unpredictability means that even Nostradamus would have difficulty in deciding when to sit and when to jump.

If we could get a little bit of insight as to what way the wind is blowing, or whether the high water mark has been reached and the waters receding then that might just be the edge in value we are looking for.

Buggar if I know how we are going to achieve that though. Knowing what is needed and being able to achieve near enough, is the problem.

Pete