Thread: First Up
View Single Post
Old 16th September 2014, 08:51 AM

well done for persevering but way too many rules mate. Have been there done that and the simpler you can make it the better. When dealing with maidens, winners can come from anywhere, class of sire may not enter in to it.

The first two dams are important and I also look at the cross which must have at least 50%+ winners to runners or yet to have any runners (excluding the maiden in question). In other words, if the cross has 'failed' under my criteria I leave the maiden alone.

I found that 2 and 3yos are the better bets though an not dismissing 4-5yos, just that they seemed to hit sooner.

I don't touch dosage or pedigree patterns etc, nor do I factor in race stats such as days since last start or weight etc. I also dont look at form or trials, just back them from 1st start to first win or 4 starts. This gives me a better dividend overall as some place prices can be huge.

Once I have found a sire that produces winners early on, I follow the qualifiers. I do not look at the Sires list to see their winners to runners strike rates as I am not backing everything by that sire, I have culled those that dont qualify and am hopefully on the better potential runners.

For instance the sire Keeper has an average strike rate of total winners to total runs. But I am only betting his 2&3yos and qualifying on female line and cross. Pins is another.

Backing each horse in isolation does OK overall but backing all horses as part of a management plan pays better. 5% of the bank on each horse in turn earns well, so far anyway as the winners make up for the losers.

Still a work in progress