Melbourne Cup Betting Tips
Continued from previous page
Interesting betting tips and facts about the Melbourne Cup:
8. Horses to win the Caulfield-Melbourne Cup double are Poseidon 1906, The Trump 1937, Rivette 1939, Rising Fast 1954, Even Stevens 1962, Galilee 1966, Gurner's Lane 1982, Let's Elope 1991, Doriemus 1995, Might And Power 1997 and Ethereal 2001. Makybe Diva, who won the 2004 Melbourne Cup, finished second by a half head to Elvstroem in the Caulfield Cup that year.
9. Horses to have won two Melbourne Cups are Archer 1861-1862, Peter Pan 1932 and 1934, Rain Lover 1968-1969, Think Big 1974-1975 and Makybe Diva 2003-2004.
The longest priced winners are The Pearl 100/1 (1871), Wotan 100/1 (1936), Old Rowley 100/1 (1940) and Rimfire 80/1 (1948).
10. 34 favourites have won the Melbourne Cup. The shortest priced winners were Makybe Diva $3.50 (2004), Archer 2/1 (1862), Revenue 7/4 (1908) and Phar Lap 8/11 odds on (1930). 66 Cup favourites have finished in the first three placings.
11. The heaviest weight carried to victory was by Carbine in 1890 with 10 stone 5lbs (65.5kg).
12. Five year olds have won the race 42 times. Four year olds (41), six year olds (26), three year olds (23), seven year olds (9) and eight year olds (2).The last three year old to win the race was Skipton in 1941. The Lee Freedman trained Makybe Diva who won in 2004 was a 6YO mare. In 2003 when Makybe Diva won the Melbourne Cup as a 5YO mare she was trained by David Hall.
13. Between the time weights are released for the Melbourne Cup and the running of the race most of the Cup hopefuls are not in the race. After the weights have been released for the Melbourne Cup, the last original top weight to win the Cup was Comic Court with nine stone five pounds (59.5kg.) in 1950.
14. Over the last 13 years nine Melbourne Cup winners finished either first or second at their previous start.
15. Historically the best guides to the Melbourne Cup have been the Caulfield Cup and the Mackinnon Stakes. Last year's winner, Makybe Diva, finished a close second in the Caulfield Cup.
16. Jockeys, trainers and horses who have won the Melbourne Cup in the last 10 years are listed below - the jockey is named first, then the trainer and finally the horse.
2004 Glen Boss, Lee Freedman - Makybe Diva
2003 Glen Boss, David Hall - Makybe Diva
2002 Damien Oliver, D. Weld - Media Puzzle
2001 Scott Seamer, S. Laxon - Ethereal
2000 Kerrin McEvoy, M. Moroney - Brew
1999 John Marshall, Bart Cummings - Rogan Josh
1998 Chris Munce, B. Jenkins - Jezabeel
1997 Jim Cassidy, J. Denham - Might And Power
1996 Darren Beadman, Bart Cummings - Saintly
1995 Damien Oliver, Lee Freedman - Doriemus
This edition of Punt to Win:
Melbourne Cup betting facts and tips
Get those betting odds
The Melbourne Cup quick pick horse racing betting system
Horse Watch betting system - future winners
Betting favourites in small fields
Betting tips from the track: Moonee Valley Cox Plate Day and Rosehill
Racing results for horses carrying a weight handicap of 59kg.
Future winners - unlucky horses
Punt to Win 22/10/2005
Punt to Win index
Top Live Betting Odds
Horse racing and sports betting online.
$100 free bet!
15% new account bonus,
frequent special offers!
IASbet: Free $20 Melbourne Cup bet plus 20% deposit bonus.
Best Tote Odds?
Profit $10 bet
online poker rooms
Copyright ©1998-present. OZmium Pty. Ltd. All rights