Punt to Win
How to Make Money Betting Horses at Double Figure Dollar Odds
The form is often there to back them!
There is nothing better than backing horses at good double figure odds. It's also not about guesswork or just fluking a winner. The clues are often there.
How do you find the clues?
1. It's a case of doing enough detective work.
Let's have a look at Prince Benbara who stormed home first up to win an Open Handicap at Sandown last Saturday, first up over 1300 metres. He paid tote odds of $16.20 for the win.
1. The five year old gelding had a win and two placings first up. He also won a Listed race at Caulfield over 1700 metres after a freshen up of seven weeks. So he races well fresh.
2. The Sandown track was rated Good. Prince Benbara only had one win and two placings from 23 starts on a Good track. He had five wins from 10 starts on a rain affected Slow track. Most punters would have looked at that and given Prince Benbara no chance.
But a closer look at Prince Benbara's recent form would show that he can be very competitive on Good rated tracks.
a) Five months earlier he finished fourth, only beaten two lengths in the Group 3 Sandown Stakes over 1400 metres on a Good track.
c) Just before these two runs Prince Benbara finished a close third in a photo finish in the Listed Seymour Cup over 1600 metres on a Good rated track.
3. So Prince Benbara's form on Good rated tracks and at Sandown, six starts for only one placing is also not as bad as it first appears. In fact it is certainly good enough for just an Open Handicap.
4. The barrier, 13 in the 13 horse field, looked to be a disadvantage. But there was a good straight run to the first turn. In any case, Prince Benbara gets well back in his races, which is ideal for Sandown and nullifies any disadvantage from a wide barrier.
5. Prince Benbara had top weight of 58kg. The three kilos claim for a good apprentice also would help.
Prince Benbara would have to rate a serious winning chance.
This edition of Punt to Win:
2005 Melbourne Cup Carnival Winners
|Disclaimer: This site covers various aspects of horseracing in Australia. We provide betting tips, online gambling strategy and links to many thoroughbred sites. OZmium Pty Ltd is not responsible for the content of the links and also accepts no liability for financial loss or misadventure caused by the information provided here. We strongly recommend you bet within your budget and only with money you are prepared to risk.|