Horse Racing Trifecta Betting Tips
Here are the views of a successful punting acquaintance about how to make money betting trifectas. Michael very rarely takes trifectas but when he does wager trifectas he wins.
Essentials to know about trifectas.
1. Trifectas are generally poor value. You are betting in captive tote markets without competition from bookmakers.
2. The tote takes much more out of the trifecta pools than the tote takes out of tote win pools. .
3. Betting for the win with bookmakers and you can at times have markets where close to $100 is being returned for every $100 bet. If the wrong horses win for the bookmakers then more than $100 can be returned for every $100 bet on the race. You can also compare bookmaker prices with every tote. But play the trifectas and you know that only around $80 is returned for every $100 bet.
Michael also pointed out why in poor value tote pools the average punter has little chance. Here are his main points.
Save money. Don't take poor value trifectas.
1. Many punters look at the tote prices and don't even know the horses they are backing. For them it is purely a numbers game with the odds stacked against them.
2. They select the tote favourite to win with the most popular tote horses for second and third. Maybe throw in a few tote firmers as well. Or they box the top four or five tote horses.
3. Another common method is to take the odds on favourite for first with the field for second and third in the mistaken belief that they will get value from the good thing winning.
4. These must all lose because they are the most popular ways of taking trifectas. In pools where only $80 is returned for every $100 bet the most popular wins pay way under their true odds.
5. How often do punters box the entire field when there are no more than five or six runners? As Michael said, "I saw a typical mug punter down at the local Pub TAB box a five horse field for $60. I asked him why he was doing that and with a drunken laugh - of course he'd been combining plenty of beers with his betting - he said he couldn't lose. The trifecta paid $11. He lost 80% of his outlay. Of course you must lose if you're boxing entire fields. The tote is not a charity."
Well, Michael, how can punters win money with trifectas?
Here are Michael's main tips on how to win betting trifectas.
Continued next page - click here.
Subscribe to the free Pro-Punter Newsletter:
Free newsletter Saturday Four State betting tips and Lucky Lil's tips
Register for the Forum:
Free newsletter Top Four ratings and Lucky Lil's tips